Photo: Jennifer/Ricotta and Radishes
While warm summer nights might be soon coming to an end, there is still time to enjoy a good ole hotdog! In preparation for Labor Day or those preseason tailgates, we’ve found some great ideas to spice up you dog. The OG sauerkraut might be your go to, but try out some of these amazing toppings to elevate the flavor level on your hotdog. You will not be disappointed!
The Classic Topping bar
Onions and hotdogs- it’s a perfect marriage, right? Jenny from Honey and Birch agrees. Sharing easy and family friendly recipes, Jenny has created an onion relish perfect for any outdoor gathering. Combining red and white pickled onions, this recipe is sure to add a great tang for you hotdog topping bar!
Other toppings for your classic hotdog:
- Good ‘ole sauerkraut or perhaps a beer-steeped sauerkraut
- Grilled onions and peppers
- Freshly slices jalapenos and tomatoes
- Relish or thinly sliced pickles
Chili Dog Toppings
A bit into a chili dog sends you back into a moment as a child. Whether grabbing one with your family, eating one at an amusement park, or enjoying a dog at your favorite sports game, the chili dog is an American icon. But, depending on which coast you are from, everyone has a spin on their dog. From North to South, West to East, here are some great ideas for toppings on your favorite version of the chili dog.
- A New York inspired Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce
- A cheese packed Chili Dog
- A Texan twist with Texas Style Chili and crunchy Fritos
- Freshly chopped red onions, extra freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- Mac and Cheese to top your chili
- Relish and jalapenos
Korean Slaw Dog Toppings
Creating healthy dishes with seasonal and fresh ingredients is how Holly from Taste and See likes to create her recipes. Her Korean inspired slaw is a great way to add extra flavor to your hotdog. A cabbage slaw tossed with spicy Sriracha and ginger is a great way to add an Asian flavor flair to your dog. Get mixing on this great topping.
What you’ll need:
- Kimchi Relish for a tangy bite
- Scallions, lime juice, shredded savoy cabbage, and toasted sesame seeds for a Kogi Dog
- Korean BBQ Dipping Sauce for a sweet and spicy kick
Healthy Vegetarian Hotdog Toppings
While Jennifer from Ricotta and Radishes doesn’t believe hotdogs are the ultimate health food (I mean, she’s a nutritional scientists, so she knows her stuff!) she has provided a great healthy and vegetarian alternative! Jennifer shares great ideas for toppings that include nuts, greek yogurt, feta cheese, freshly sliced vegetables, tropical fruits, and beans. Who said hotdogs couldn’t be healthy? Be sure to check out Jennifer’s post for her full list of ideas for a topping spread!
Ideas for Vegetarian Toppings:
- Spiralized red onions and pineapple to make a Hawaiian style dog
- Cucumber, tomato, olives, and feta for a Greek spin of toppings
- Grilled corn
- Toasted Nori, for an Asian twist
What are your favorite ways to get creative with hotdog toppings?